PICS3D, Photonic Integrated Circuit Simulator in 3D, is a state of the art 3D-simulator for surface and edge emission laser diodes, SOA, and other similar active waveguide devices. The 2D/3D semiconductor equations (drift-diffusion, Poisson, etc..) are coupled to the optical modes in both lateral and longitudinal directions. Optical properties such as quantum well/wire/dot optical gain and spontaneous emission rates are computed self-consistently.
Starting from the 2016 version, the functionality of our 2D laser solver (LASTIP) has also been folded into PICS3D: this allows for easy simulation of laser devices without significant longitudinal effects and more flexibility for customers working on a variety of laser device designs.
- 2D and 3D simulation of edge emitting lasers
- DFB and DBR lasers and other devices with strong longitudinal effects
- Vertical cavity surface emitting lasers (VCSEL)
- Semiconductor optical amplifiers (SOA)
- Superluminescent diodes (SLED)
- Waveguide photodetectors (WPD)
- Electroabsorption modulators (EAM)
- Tunable and external-cavity lasers
- Semiconductor ring lasers
- Sampled-grating, gain-coupled and 2nd-order gratings
- Self-heating and thermal roll-over
- Models of various quantum well/wire/dot structures
- Quantum cascade lasers (intersubband models)